Manchester United generated the greatest revenue of all clubs in Europe during the 2016 financial year, according to a detailed study carried out by UEFA.
The Premier League giants, playing catch up to neighbours Manchester City on the pitch this season, top that particular table ahead of LaLiga behemoths Barcelona and Real Madrid.
However, United's financial might comes with the caveat of recording the highest net debt on the continent, while City fans can point to the numbers in the argument over who possesses the superior squad among Europe's heavyweights.
Below, we've broken down the salient points from UEFA's extensive review.
UNITED THE BIGGEST KID IN THE PLAYGROUND
- The three-time European champions take their place at the top of the revenue table having recorded a figure of €689million, an increase of €169m from 2015.
- Catalan giants Barcelona are second on the list with €620m, a figure matched by their Clasico rivals Real Madrid.
- Bayern Munich, Paris Saint-Germain and Manchester City are the other clubs to record in excess of €500m revenue.
- But it was Arsenal who made the most in gate receipts, recording €135m, with Madrid (€132m) and United (€131m) second and third.
PREMIER LEAGUE WAGES CONTINUE TO SOAR
- For the first time on record, the average wage bill of Premier League clubs was more than double that of the next highest-paying league, the Bundesliga.
- The Premier League's aggregate figure came to a whopping €3.077billion while the average works out at €153.9m. The Bundesliga is next on the list with a mean of €75.3m.
- In terms of individual clubs, Barcelona paid out the highest amount in wages in 2016 at €372m, comfortably more than United (€321m) and Madrid (€307m).
WHAT— FC Barcelona (@FCBarcelona) January 14, 2018
CITY'S EMBARRASSMENT OF RICHES
- Manchester City look nailed on to lift the Premier League trophy at the end of the season and critics would say that should be the least that is expected of Pep Guardiola's side, whose player assets amounted to a European-high €362m in 2016.
- Madrid (€334m) sit second on that list with United (€323m) third. Meanwhile, Barcelona's squad value of €202m sees them down in sixth, behind Chelsea and Liverpool.
- United's net debt of €561m - higher than any other club - accounts for over a third of the total debt in the Premier League (€1.525bn), while the English top flight's average figure of €76.3m is the most across the divisions, above Serie A (€63.6m) and the Turkish Super Lig (€38m).
Feeling proud about this team. We win and lose together, nothing changes. Great attitude. Props to Liverpool for a great game pic.twitter.com/P6MfrWQUd8— Kevin De Bruyne (@DeBruyneKev) January 14, 2018
|De Villiers enjoying relief from ´unbearable´ Proteas pressure|
|Fernando Alonso to leave F1|
|Spalletti extends Inter contract|
|Godin, Koke, Griezmann and Juanfran named Atletico Madrid captains|
|Ronaldo out of hospital after illness|
|Fury: Beating Wilder and Joshua ´very easy´|
|Dickinson retires to take up academy coaching role|
|Cricket the ´sole focus´ for Stokes as he returns to England squad|
|Cheryshev moves to Valencia on loan|
|Mandzukic retires from Croatia duty after World Cup|
|Ben Stokes found not guilty of affray|
|Tottenham issue new stadium update and apology to fans|
|Chelsea flop Bakayoko moves to AC Milan on loan|
|Gabi urges Al Sadd team-mate Xavi to play on|
|Ronaldo leads UEFA Goal of the Season nominees|
|Federer: Djokovic could be caught up in US Open pressure|
|Ronaldo to Juventus a huge boost for Serie A – Matthaus|
|Werner would welcome Ozil Germany return|
|´Perfectionist´ Serena admits to ´unrealistic´ expectations in tennis and motherhood|
|Klopp praises Deschamps and his ´boring´ France|
|LaLiga 2018-19: Bale or Griezmann - Who will step into Ronaldo´s breach as Messi´s main rival?|
|Woods winning 15th major would be greatest comeback in sport – Faldo|
|Retiring Storm great Hoffman not giving up on Finals dream|
|Folau won´t change aerial approach in All Blacks showdown|
|Racism behind Sterling criticism, says ex-Arsenal star Wright|
|Eto´o joins Qatar SC following Ligue 1 links|
|UEFA Super Cup 2018-19: Atletico academy eclipsing Madrid, La Masia|
|UEFA Super Cup 2018-19: Should Real Madrid cash in on Modric?|
|Scintillating Serena sends warning, Azarenka survives opener|
|DeGrom strikes out 12, Mets hit 5 homers in win over Yankees|
|Djokovic needs nine MPs as Murray crashes out|
|Murray unsure of US Open readiness after Cincinnati exit|
|Van Dijk: Alisson making difference at Liverpool|
|Johnson saves eight MPs but Djokovic prevails|
|Federer anxious ahead of Cincinnati comeback|
|Tevez relishing Messi reunion|
|Ronaldo arrival has taken Juve forward in Europe – Nedved|
|Serena steamrolls Gavrilova in Cincinnati return|
|Packers QB Rodgers doesn´t regret criticising team-mates|
|Indians OF Martin recovering from life-threatening bacterial infection|
|Shoulder injury sends Royals starter Duffy to DL|
|Yankees place Sabathia on DL with right knee inflammation|
|Aubameyang urges Emery to capitalise on his ´spark´ with Lacazette|
|Anderson can play until he´s 40, says Bayliss|
|Keita living childhood dream after securing Inter switch|
|49ers to sign veteran RB Alfred Morris, Kyle Shanahan says|
|Arnaiz leaves Barcelona for Leganes in €5m deal|
|Tottenham´s move to new stadium delayed|
|Roosters-bound Hall suffers ACL injury|
|Murray suffers Cincinnati defeat to Pouille|
|No Cech mate - Arsenal goalkeeper hits back at Bayer Leverkusen|
|Halep first to seal WTA Finals spot|
|Veteran Carmelo Anthony pens one-year Rockets deal|
|Runners and Ryders: Poulter closes in on Team Europe spot|
|Gameiro presented by Valencia after departing Atletico Madrid|
|World Cup winner Kimpembe extends PSG contract to 2023|
|AC Milan send Locatelli on loan to Sassuolo|
|South Africa´s Etzebeth set for return from injury|
|Rafinha ´very likely´ to stay at Barcelona|
|No dual Ryder Cup role should Woods make USA team, says Furyk|
|Inter complete Keita deal|
|David Silva announces retirement from international football|
|Modric in Real Madrid´s UEFA Super Cup squad amid Inter links|
|Neville hopes Shaw is on to something special after first United goal|
|Unchanged England waiting on Stokes verdict|
|Yates brothers to race Vuelta together|
|Kalinic explains why he rejected World Cup medal|
|Furyk excited to see Woods´ return to form|
|Liverpool ignoring media´s champions chat, says Van Dijk|
|Suspended Smith replaces Kohli as top-ranked Test batsman|