A detailed study on the financial landscape of European football was released by UEFA on Tuesday.
The governing body broke down the statistics behind the previous transfer window, detailing the evolution of fees and the league with the lowest net spend.
Information on revenues, wage bills and balance sheets were also revealed.
Here, we take a look at the major headlines from the report.
- The previous transfer window featured six of the top 20 transfer fees of all time and 10 reported transfers of €50million or more. Neymar's €222m switch from Barcelona to Paris Saint-Germain was the biggest.
- The most significant jump in high-value transfers is visible in the €50m+ category, where the number of moves are twice as high as in the previous close-season window.
- The Premier League was both the biggest spender and the top earner, though the league's net spend was -€772m. By contrast, Portugal had the greatest net result of +€231m.
- Manchester United generated the greatest revenue of all clubs across Europe for the financial year of 2016 at €689m, more than Barcelona and Real Madrid (€620m).
- For the first time on record, the average wage bill of Premier League clubs (€153.9m) was more than double that of the next highest-paying league, the Bundesliga (€75.3m).
- The highest wage bill in European football belongs to Barcelona (€372m) and amounts to 60 per cent of their total revenue. It is also 5.2 times the LaLiga average.
- Manchester City (€362m) overtook Madrid (€334m) as having the highest value of players on their balance sheet, although the original transfer cost of the latter's squad (€754m) remained the highest.
- Premier League clubs show the highest average net debt (€76.3m). The Bundesliga has the lowest of Europe's top five leagues at €5.5m, 10th overall.
- United's €561m net debt is the biggest in Europe, a total far higher than that of Benfica (€309m) in second.
Transfers relate to the previous window in 2017, while other figures pertain to the financial year of 2016.
|Sensational Kusal Perera inspires record-breaking Sri Lanka victory|
|Madrid´s old heads are helping Vinicius, says Solari|
|Ospina eyes South America switch as Napoli back Meret|
|I would want to be Anthony Davis, says Lakers great Abdul-Jabbar|
|Ribery future up in the air, says Bayern CEO Rummenigge|
|Smith and Warner will walk back into Australia team, says Clarke|
|Ferguson to manage Manchester United in ´Treble Reunion´ match|
|Dunne and Pieters join leader Langfors with Perth bye|
|Coman cleared to face Liverpool after ankle scare|
|Solskjaer has a nasty side - Smalling|
|Liverpool not feeling the pressure, insists Klopp´s assistant|
|Valentino Rossi at 40: The best stats on the MotoGP icon|
|Ramos shocked by yellow card fuss|
|Flyers acquire Talbot from Oilers for Stolarz|
|Williamson praises ´clinical´ Black Caps|
|Guptill guides Black Caps to series win over Bangladesh|
|Kuzma leads USA past Team World|
|Thiem into semis in Buenos Aires, Isner cruises in New York|
|This can´t happen at Liverpool – Kovac warns Bayern over defensive errors|
|Thomas, Scott lead Genesis Open|
|Koulibaly pleased with transfer interest, but happy at Napoli|
|Allegri: Juventus must score in Madrid|
|Kuchar addresses criticism, apologises for paying fill-in caddie $5k|
|Life is for warriors – Neymar defiant as injury recovery continues|
|Neuer: Bayern Munich must cut out defensive ´madness´|
|Kovac: Bayern had Liverpool on the mind against Augsburg|
|Wawrinka and Nishikori to meet in Rotterdam semi-finals|
|Gloucester down leaders Exeter, Wasps beat Bristol|
|McCloskey marks landmark with try in Ulster win, Munster run riot|
|Allegri hails Dybala after Juventus star ends goal drought|
|Kovac fearful over fresh Coman ankle injury|
|Mahrez incredible in training - Guardiola takes blame for star´s exile|
|Depay can be among world´s best – Rafael|
|Wood ´felt like a superhero´ in devastating match-winning spell|
|QPR 0 Watford 1: Capoue strike secures quarter-final berth|
|Kaepernick v the NFL: How we got here|
|Juventus 3 Frosinone 0: Ronaldo rounds off routine romp|
|Augsburg 2 Bayern Munich 3: Classy Coman shines in comeback win|
|Ndombele draws Pogba comparisons from Lyon coach Genesio|
|Coady and Doherty pen new deals with Wolves|
|Kaepernick and Reid reach settlement in NFL collusion case|
|Neuer back in Bayern team after thumb injury|
|Giggs, Scholes and Beckham met Ferguson´s standards because of Harrison – ´Class of ´92´ graduate Ca|
|Mertens upsets Kerber to set up Halep Doha decider|
|Valverde: Barcelona scared? We´re top of LaLiga!|
|North and South Korea want to co-host 2032 Olympics|
|Zaha appeal against ban dismissed|
|Chisora to work with Bellew´s former coach Coldwell|
|Valverde still unsure on Umtiti return date ahead of Lyon tie|
|Hudson-Odoi getting enough Chelsea chances, insists Zola|
|Sexton back in full Ireland training|
|Chelsea, Malmo facing UEFA charges|
|Magnificent Halep storms back to reach Qatar Open final|
|No nerves for Ferrari new boy Leclerc|
|Solskjaer´s Manchester United impact has been remarkable - Zola|
|Valverde delighted by extra responsibility of new Barcelona contract|
|Martial and Lingard injuries open the door to Gomes and Chong – Solskjaer|
|Semenya backed by South African government in IAAF challenge|
|Proteas collapse gives Sri Lanka hope in Durban|
|Wales star Halfpenny misses Scarlets match|
|Guardiola: Wigan a warning to Manchester City for Newport trip|
|Martial, Lingard out for up to three weeks|
|Milan will need helmets against Atalanta - Gattuso|
|Suso ´deserves Milan renewal´ amid Spurs & Arsenal links|
|Tuchel avoids touchline ban from FFF|
|Christian crushes Sixers to set up all-Melbourne final|
|Newport star Amond hopes glasses are raised after Otamendi reunion|
|Aaron Smith try snatches win over Chiefs for 14-man Highlanders|
|A-League Review: Melbourne City drop points again as Newcastle Jets close on top six|
|Pieters pegged back by late bogey in Perth|