A detailed study on the financial landscape of European football was released by UEFA on Tuesday.
The governing body broke down the statistics behind the previous transfer window, detailing the evolution of fees and the league with the lowest net spend.
Information on revenues, wage bills and balance sheets were also revealed.
Here, we take a look at the major headlines from the report.
- The previous transfer window featured six of the top 20 transfer fees of all time and 10 reported transfers of €50million or more. Neymar's €222m switch from Barcelona to Paris Saint-Germain was the biggest.
- The most significant jump in high-value transfers is visible in the €50m+ category, where the number of moves are twice as high as in the previous close-season window.
- The Premier League was both the biggest spender and the top earner, though the league's net spend was -€772m. By contrast, Portugal had the greatest net result of +€231m.
- Manchester United generated the greatest revenue of all clubs across Europe for the financial year of 2016 at €689m, more than Barcelona and Real Madrid (€620m).
- For the first time on record, the average wage bill of Premier League clubs (€153.9m) was more than double that of the next highest-paying league, the Bundesliga (€75.3m).
- The highest wage bill in European football belongs to Barcelona (€372m) and amounts to 60 per cent of their total revenue. It is also 5.2 times the LaLiga average.
- Manchester City (€362m) overtook Madrid (€334m) as having the highest value of players on their balance sheet, although the original transfer cost of the latter's squad (€754m) remained the highest.
- Premier League clubs show the highest average net debt (€76.3m). The Bundesliga has the lowest of Europe's top five leagues at €5.5m, 10th overall.
- United's €561m net debt is the biggest in Europe, a total far higher than that of Benfica (€309m) in second.
Transfers relate to the previous window in 2017, while other figures pertain to the financial year of 2016.
|England recall Jennings to replace struggling Stoneman|
|Messi: Barcelona is going to be my only place|
|Messi: I´d give up Barca title for World Cup glory|
|LeBron reaching eight straight Finals is ridiculous and unbelievable – Stevens|
|Indians top Astros in 14 innings as Cole-Bauer duel turns into marathon|
|I´m squeezing this orange until there´s no juice left – LeBron|
|LeBron James leads Cavs past Celtics and into NBA Finals|
|Kyle Busch dominates to win Coca-Cola 600|
|Henderson still confident of Liverpool success|
|Sporting Kansas City 0 Columbus Crew 0: 10-man visitors battle to MLS draw|
|Inglis to captain new-look Maroons, Boyd and Scott axed for Origin I|
|Neymar labels Real Madrid links ´nonsense´|
|Koepka ready to turn seconds into wins|
|Rose ´really proud´ of Fort Worth Invitational win|
|Paul a ´game-time decision´ for series decider, says Rockets coach D´Antoni|
|Egypt president wishes Salah speedy recovery|
|Bonucci: Balotelli has matured|
|Ranieri backs Sarri to succeed at Chelsea|
|Konta admits to doubts after another early Roland Garros exit|
|Warriors´ Iguodala, Looney listed as questionable for game seven|
|Zverev batters Berankis, Goffin back from the brink in Paris|
|Rose cruises to victory at Colonial|
|Neymar: I´m not at 100 per cent yet|
|Toulouse confirm Ligue 1 survival with win over Ajaccio|
|I know what I´ve achieved - Bale not worried about plaudits as he looks to the future|
|Ostapenko ´angry´ after Roland Garros exit, Venus Williams falls at first hurdle|
|Barcelona B relegated to Spain´s third tier|
|Rayo Vallecano win promotion to LaLiga|
|Tarkowski leaves England camp for hernia surgery|
|Ramos ´quite clever´ but Salah injury not to blame for final defeat, insists Robertson|
|WATCH: Ricciardo takes wide receiver role on yacht for Tom Brady pass|
|Until next year – Ronaldo drops new future hint as Real Madrid celebrate with fans|
|Froome stunned by Giro triumph|
|The Triple Crown: Froome´s Grand Tour glory in numbers|
|Hannover sign Wimmer on season-long loan|
|Inter powerless to stop Icardi exit, admits Spalletti|
|Ashton makes England statement with Barbarians hat-trick|
|Watson masterclass seals third IPL title for Super Kings|
|Kozlova ends Ostapenko´s Roland Garros reign on day one|
|Imperious Zverev breezes into second round|
|Froome wins Giro d´Italia to complete Triple Crown|
|Stricken Salah confident over World Cup hopes|
|Verstappen highlights change in approach amid Rosberg criticism|
|Strinic claims three-year deal at Milan|
|Napoli captain Hamsik considering China offer|
|Chinese outsider Wang shocks Venus Williams in Paris|
|Redemption two years in the making - Ricciardo revels in Monaco glory|
|Flawless Molinari holds off McIlroy at Wentworth|
|Karius ´infinitely sorry´ but thanks Liverpool fans for support|
|Root and Bayliss dismiss ´outrageous´ fixing allegations|
|Giggs: Bale the best Welsh player I´ve seen|
|Ricciardo ends Monaco hoodoo despite mechanical issue|
|Lyon star Fekir denies being close to Liverpool switch|
|Pogba: I learned a lot from Abou Diaby|
|Where next for Real Madrid stars Ronaldo and Bale?|
|Shingler and Hewitt out of Wales tour|
|Kyrgios pulls out of French Open|
|Khan wants to bow out by winning blockbuster Brook fight|
|Is winter coming? Game of Thrones stars descend on Monaco|
|Root urges England´s batsmen to ´find a way´|
|Lovren, Van Dijk absolve Karius of blame|
|We all know where our nipples are - Hansen welcomes tackle trial|
|Rooney would thrive in MLS, says DC United boss|
|Pakistan complete demolition of sorry England|
|Curry, Durant reveal the secret to Thompson´s success|
|Salah will miss World Cup, claims Saudi sports administrator|
|Deschamps marvels at Zidane´s incredible Champions League success|
|FIA satisfied Ferrari ´inside the rules´|
|NSW Origin hopeful Moylan pulls the strings for rampant Sharks|
|Champions League blunders will stay with Karius - Clemence|